Get Behind Me Satan
After reading two glorious reviews of the White Stripes' new album, Get Behind Me Satan, I couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy. Lo and behold, I found a free preview on Rhapsody. I gladly pimped my email address to hear the album a few days ahead of time.
I've been skeptical of extremely positive album reviews since I learned that many critics thought that Physical Graffiti was Led Zeppelin's best album -- and one of the better rock albums of all time. But that's just me. It sounds dated and cheezy in a way that good rock albums are supposed to transcend. And I like Zeppelin.
So, I'm about halfway through Satan so far. Granted, this is a first-listen, but "Blue Orchid," the opening track, is my favorite (I've also heard it before, as it's already been released). It's raw but highly processed; Jack does a great falsetto. As the album progresses, the band seesaws between delicate, acoustic ballads and chaotic, grinding number. On this album, like on Elephant, I tend towards the chaotic, grinding numbers, where the band (all two of 'em) really shines -- Meg purposely playing behind or ahead of the beat, Jack's shrill vocals and chunky guitars.
But the contrast is important.
So far, the album is fun. I don't think they've redefined rock and I don't know how much of what they do is new. It may be that the White Stripes do what they do very well. Repeated listens will determine how much they've grown as a band, especially in terms of songwriting, but my initial impression is that they're still near the top of the pile.
I've been skeptical of extremely positive album reviews since I learned that many critics thought that Physical Graffiti was Led Zeppelin's best album -- and one of the better rock albums of all time. But that's just me. It sounds dated and cheezy in a way that good rock albums are supposed to transcend. And I like Zeppelin.
So, I'm about halfway through Satan so far. Granted, this is a first-listen, but "Blue Orchid," the opening track, is my favorite (I've also heard it before, as it's already been released). It's raw but highly processed; Jack does a great falsetto. As the album progresses, the band seesaws between delicate, acoustic ballads and chaotic, grinding number. On this album, like on Elephant, I tend towards the chaotic, grinding numbers, where the band (all two of 'em) really shines -- Meg purposely playing behind or ahead of the beat, Jack's shrill vocals and chunky guitars.
But the contrast is important.
So far, the album is fun. I don't think they've redefined rock and I don't know how much of what they do is new. It may be that the White Stripes do what they do very well. Repeated listens will determine how much they've grown as a band, especially in terms of songwriting, but my initial impression is that they're still near the top of the pile.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home