Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Harmful Books

From our conservative friends at Human Events Online:

The Ten Most Harmful Books of the 19th and 20th Centuries:

#1 The Communist Manifesto -- surprise, surprise. "The Evil Empire of the Soviet Union put the Manifesto into practice," so they say. V.I. Lenin was as close to Marx as George W. Bush is to Adam Smith. But I digress ...

#2 Mein Kampf. Should've been #1.

#3 Quotations of Chairman Mao
(aka The Little Red Book). Ah, those were the days -- when the war was cold, and our enemies were communist.

#4 The Kinsey Report.
I saw this coming a mile away.

#5 Democracy and Education
. "Helped nurture the Clinton generation." Still, it's all about Clinton.

#6 Das Kapital
-- Our friend Marx's second appearance. The commentary is worth quoting at lengh:
Das Kapital forces the round peg of capitalism into the square hole of Marx’s materialistic theory of history, portraying capitalism as an ugly phase in the development of human society in which capitalists inevitably and amorally exploit labor by paying the cheapest possible wages to earn the greatest possible profits. Marx theorized that the inevitable eventual outcome would be global proletarian revolution. He could not have predicted 21st Century America: a free, affluent society based on capitalism and representative government that people the world over envy and seek to emulate.
Emulate, world! Damn you, emulate! We invaded Iraq so they could emulate us.

#7 The Feminine Mystique. Never mind that Friedan helped inspire women (and men) to change the way they think about gender and socialization:
Friedan was from her college days, and until her mid-30s, a Stalinist Marxist, the political intimate of the leaders of America’s Cold War fifth column and for a time even the lover of a young Communist physicist working on atomic bomb projects in Berkeley’s radiation lab with J. Robert Oppenheimer. [Human Events quotes from another source here.]
Undoubtedly, a weak-minded woman, she was corrupted by the Communist boyfriend, who planted such radical notions of eqality and rights into her little brain.

#8 The Course of Positive Philosophy. Ok, so this would be pretty damaging if you're a person of faith.

#9 Beyond Good and Evil -- "The Nazis loved Nietzsche." Oversimplification? Yup. Done and done.

#10 General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money. "FDR adopted [Keynesianism] as U.S. policy, and the U.S. government now has a $2.6-trillion annual budget and an $8-trillion dollar debt." OK, OK -- we should all do our part to cut deficit spending. Starting with the defense budget.

The list of honorable mentions is even more interesting, with Nader's Unsafe at Any Speed and Darwin's Origin of the Species on the list. Truth be damned.

There is a list of Ten Books Every Student Should Read in College, too, along with an honorable mention. News flash -- none are by women!

Both lists were compiled by querying a group of university professors and conservative acvitists. Phyllis Schlafly included.

2 Comments:

Blogger Flop said...

These people are batshit insane, but I have to say, their list of books to read in college could be a lot worse. Still, what kind of lame-ass college student should be reading Russell Kirk?

11:52 PM  
Blogger waterloo said...

I agree. In fact, I wish I had read some of the recommended books way back when. Maybe I didn't because Michigan classrooms were infused with such liberal bias. I used to believe that crap when I wrote for The Michigan Review. Shhh. Don't tell anyone that secret.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home